25 October 2010

Please give a warm welcome to Rachel Brimble today




Rachel, thank you for being with us today. Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your latest book.
I live in the UK with my husband and two young daughters. I work part-time for my husband who is a Financial Adviser but whenever I can, I write. I aim for at least 500 words a day, no matter what. Very often its more, but anything is better than nothing!

My latest book is my first novella-length story, Transatlantic Loving, part of the Class of ’85 series currently building a nice lot of fans over at The Wild Rose Press. It’s an awesome series and I hope to send them another story in the future.

Who, or what has influenced your writing the most?
I adore Nora Roberts’ work but I’m pretty sure she inspired my work rather than influenced it. I hope that I sound like me rather than anyone else, but her stories are a great inspiration to me. It amazes me how she comes up with a fantastic premise and superbly drawn characters over and over again – with little sign of her slowing down!

If you had to describe your current book as a piece of music, how would you describe it?
Good question! The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and The News is the backing track to Transatlantic Loving! It was what I had playing over and over while writing it to get the whole 80s vibe going on.
Transatlantic Loving is part of the Class of ’85 series with The Wild Rose Press – who doesn’t love the ‘80’s?

Are you a plotter or a pantster?
I used to be a huge plotter – I started with a synopsis, then a detailed chapter plan which would result in a twenty page document, but with the last two books I’ve written I’ve found that I don’t need as much planning as I am becoming more and more practiced at my craft.
I always, always write a synopsis first though – that’s my skeleton, my guideline that I refer back to when I need a bit of realignment!

Which, if any, authors, past and present, have influenced your writing, and how?
As I said my main romance inspiration is Nora Roberts but I also love the moral questions Jodi Picoult tackles in her books and try to include some question for the hero and heroine to figure out in their own conscience.
Past writers? Of course, Jane Austen. But I also love Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre but my main love is current writers.
I also adore the spiritual book ‘The New Earth’ which is a massive influence on my character’s spiritual center.

Do you have critique partners or work alone?
I work alone but do belong to the Romantic Novelists Association (British RWA equivalent) and in charge of running my local chapter. We meet every four to six weeks and so ideas and problems are often discussed there and I always come away from the lunch or dinner feeling ready to tackle any difficulties I’m having.
Just goes to show how little I know about our own RNA, then, doesn't it!  I didn't know they, too, have local chapters!  Must look into it :-)

Do you think reviews are important?
Yes – if the authors treats them in the right way. To me, a great review tells me I’m doing something right, if I receive a not so good review, it tells me I need to do better next time.
It is wrong for any writer to be put off doing what they love just because of one person’s opinion – the same goes for a fabulous five star review, a writer should never think they’ve got this whole writing thing sussed. Give each book your eternal devotion and the words will speak for themselves.

How do you respond to a reviewer if it’s not favourable?
Thank them for their time, accept the things I want to consider in the future and disregard the rest.

What is your favourite colour and why? Red – passion, love, fire and vibrancy. Not a bad combination in anything or anyone.

What is the nicest reader comment you've ever received?
Oh, lord, that is a hard question! I have had so many kind and generous comments from readers. Each one gives me a massive thrill and makes me quash the self-doubt that I can actually write whenever it rears its ugly head.
I especially love it when my readers say I made them laugh out loud – or cry. Either one is a huge compliment!

How do you promote your work?
By doing interviews like this, guest blogging and word of mouth. I talk about my books as much as possible, even when its hard. I am not the most extrovert person but I’m learning and gaining confidence with each story I write.
I'm enjoying promoting a little too much though and often need to stop myself and actually get down to the writing!
Hmmm :-) you find time to write in between promoting your books.  I'll have to find out your secret.

Do you set yourself daily writing goals?
Yes – five hundred words at least. EVERY day. It’s very often more but if I’ve write at least five hundred I don’t feel guilty and it keeps me completely connected with my current work in progress.

If you could buy any car of your choice, what would it be?
Oooh, I don’t know! I am not much of a car person, to be honest. I like smaller cars that I can nip around town in so something like a Peugeot 307 convertible would be kind of cool…

What books of yours are currently for sale and where can a reader buy them?Here’s the links for all my novels and very first novella:
Searching For Sophie -
http://www.thewildrosepress.com/searching-for-sophie-p-427.html

Reluctant Witness –
http://www.thewildrosepress.com/reluctant-witness-p-1011.html

The Sharp Points of a Triangle –
http://www.eternalpress.biz/book.php?isbn=9781770650138

The Arrival of Lily Curtis –
http://www.thewildrosepress.com/the-arrival-of-lily-curtis-p-4124.html

Transatlantic Loving –
http://www.thewildrosepress.com/transatlantic-loving-p-4244.html





My word you are a prolific writer.  You know I have read The Arrival of Lilly Curtis, so I know what a versatile writer you are.





Please, will you include a blurb and excerpt to share,

This is the blurb and an excerpt from my latest release, Transatlantic Loving…
Blurb:
In a desperate bid to escape the bitter reality of her children accepting her ex-husband’s new – and younger – fiancĂ©e, Lisa Cavendish travels from the UK to accompany her friend to a high school reunion. Forced to dress as Madonna in her hey day, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with the school’s coach, who seems to hold as much regard for his child as her ex did when he walked out…
Aaron Taylor can’t believe his eyes or ears when he is introduced to Lisa – sexy and funny, she has no idea how her accent enhances the heartbreaking wait he endures waiting for his daughter to call him back to the UK. But after spending just three short weeks with Lisa, he sees the answer to his pain in the eyes of the most phenomenal British lady he has ever met…

Excerpt:
Tonight she could be an entirely different person. Tonight, she would wear the brashness of Madonna without a hint of the ever-present, self-effacing Lisa Cavendish.
She’d relented to Courtney’s constant badgering to visit her hometown of Summerville along with the promise that this trip was about burying Lisa’s divorce beneath its two year history. The trip would mark the end of bitterness, and the beginning of her acceptance of being on her own and that her kids were entitled to like their father's new friend if they so wished. Even if Lisa still fantasized about pushing both the friend and her ex-husband into a vat of boiling tar…
“Hi there, Madonna. What can I get you?”
Lisa turned, tipped her head back. And took a breath. Holy mother of==
His eyes were the color of the fields at the back of her house in high summer==emerald, dotted with hints of lime. Once her heart kicked back into place, she smiled. “A white wine would be great.”
“Coming right up. And your friend?”
Lisa stared at him. “My . . . ?”
Courtney nudged her in the ribs. “Friend. Me. Remember?”
Lisa snapped her head round to find Courtney staring back at her with eyes alive with mischief. “Did something or someone distract you from remembering I am here?” Smiling, she turned back to the hunk of burning love behind the bar. “I’ll have a glass of white wine too, please.”
His smile revealed perfect teeth except for the slight turn of one that Lisa had the sudden urge to lick. She pulled her shoulders back so fast they clicked in indignation. What the hell was she thinking? Since when did she want to lick men’s teeth? Clearing her throat, she focused on what Courtney was saying.

Please share your website and other links with us.
www.rachelbrimble.com
www.rachelbrimble.blogspot.com

Rachel, many thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us today.  I wish I'd asked you what you husband and children think of your writing success? :-)  And best wishes with Transatlantic Loving, and future projects. 

5 comments:

KK Brees said...

Loved the interview with Rachel, and especially liked her advice about moving ahead if a reviewer is less than kind.

Unknown said...

Great interview, Rachel. I too am a member of the UK RWA which I find useful. The part on promotions is interesting: "Word of mouth"? Wow - no-one every listens to what I say! And you write when you're promoting. Hello Superwoman.
Good posting, Sherry.
Sue

Caroline Clemmons said...

Rachel and Sherry, great interview. Best of luck to you both for continued success!

Shawna Thomas said...

Hi Rachel! I love the excerpt!

Great interview ladies!

Rachel Brimble said...

Thank you so much for popping by everyone!

Isn't this writing game so much more than the actual writing? Sue, did you go to the conference this year?

Really enjoyed this interview, Sherry - thanks for having me here!

Rachel x