19 March 2012

This week's Tuesday Tales prompt is SKY.  Yes :-) another week's vanished into the past and it has been a particularly busy and highly satisfying week for me.  Sadly the downside is I've done very little writing, so I have found another snippet from my WIP, No Job For a Woman, to share with you.  I have skipped forward seven chapters from my last offering from NJFaW and to save her tenants from her neighbours' vengence, Deborah has agreed to a marriage that means she loses everything she holds dear.

Thanks to everyone who visits. -->

“Are all your locks so well oiled?”

“No of course not, why should they be?” A whimsical sigh escaped Deb’s lips. “I often sit outside and watch the stars in the sky. Sometimes I imagine Harry is looking down on me. What am I going to do about this place?”
“What do you mean?”
“Don’t be obtuse, Freddie, it doesn’t suit you. We both know Julian will expect me to move to his home in Lincolnshire. After all, what man will forsake his own home for that of his wife’s first husband?”
“I can’t answer that, my dear. But rest assured, Julian is aware of the value you put on this place and the people on it. I am sure he will not expect you to become an absentee landlady.”
“But that’s just it, Freddie.” The tears in Deborah’s voice made themselves known. “I am no longer their landlady. Julian, by marriage takes on that position. And I am convinced that unlike Harold, he will not tolerate my participation in its management. Especially now we have discovered the plots against me.” A tear slipped its anchor and tracked down her cheek.


For many more fabulous Free reads.

8 comments:

Iris B said...

I like the first sentence ... but all in all, can't wait to read more. Especially about Julian. What kind of man is he?

LM Preston said...

Thanks for sharing this teaser. Now I want to read more.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Iris. I appreciate your comments and have already reworked some of this snippet.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks LM Preston, I'm delighted it caught your attention enough to want more. :-)

Dakota Trace said...

Wow. Love the first line but can honestly feel her frustration. But plots against her...now I want to know more.

Jean Joachim Books said...

You're such a tease, Sherry!! Gotta have more of this wonderful story. You've intrigued me. I hope this is going to continue.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Dakota, I'm glad you enjoyed this.

Sherry Gloag said...

Good, Jean! LOL