6 March 2012

Tuesday Tales - 6th March - Life

Another week spins round and here we are again ready for a fresh Tuesday Tales offering.  This week's promp is 'Life' and since I am offering short snippets from my experimental Regency romance, No Job For A Woman, elsewhere I thought I would continue from my two posts on Saturday & Sunday
My thanks to everyone who stops by, I appreciate your support.

Anger and frustration ripped up from nowhere, she wanted to lash out, to hurt someone in return for the injuries sustained by her husband. “Now if you are staying here, make yourself useful and sit with Julian, while Nurse and I get some air. We have seen no more than our beds and the sick room for seven days now, and it is hard on Nurse, she is no longer as young as she used to be. I want to ensure she takes a break.”

The doctor had shared their vigil for several hours on the first two nights before apologising for the need to return home to get some sleep. “For I have several patients to visit on the other side of the village tomorrow morning,” he’d explained.

Soon after the doctor’s departure she’d persuaded Nurse to rest on the truckle bed she’d set up for herself, in the room.

She did not attempt to explain how they’d both sat through those first nights with Julian until his fever broke. Nor of the struggle she had to administer his medicine. As the fever rose so the task became harder until it took both women and the doctor to hold him, while one handed, Deb trickled the medicine between his parched and split lips.

So the burden had lain on her shoulders to nurse him through the ravages until his fever broke. Not to anyone had she spoken of her fear that in return for his support he might lose his life.

And for what?

If Julian died, Ned Grainger would take up where he’d left off. No one had given any thought or time, since the tragedy, to search for whatever the Graingers’ were looking for.

Julian’s life was worth more than that.

Freddie may harbour guilt, but none more so than her own. After all she had agreed to their suggestion that she marry Julian before Ned Grainger’s deadline.

Click on the picture below so you don't miss the opportunity to read more free stories from several gifted authors.

14 comments:

Iris B said...

I like it. I'd better Sat & Sunday's posts as well!

Jean Joachim Books said...

Okay, now you have me going. What happened to Julian? What was Ned Grainger looking for? Did she marry Julian already? Is he going to die? Sucked me in right away, Sherry. Great post today. Loved it.

Dakota Trace said...

Okay you got me intrigue. What exactly was supposed to happen after Ned's deadline and why was Julian hurt? Great tuesday tale of course

Dakota

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks for coming by Iris. :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

Glad this one works for you Jean.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Dakota, glad you found this intriguing.

Lindsay said...

You've got me hooked with this scene

Cecilia Robert said...

Great excerpt. Mmmh deadlines..oh, so many questions. I love a good cliffhanger. Well done, Sherry. I look forward to next week's TT.

Christina Cole said...

You already know how much I like your Regency. I'm glad to see more of it.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Lindsay

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Cecelia, I'm glad it worked for you.

SherryGLoag said...

rofl Christine. I still have (and check back on) all your crits for this, and as many of them said 'too slow', it's now rocket propelled!!
Your crits have had an enormous impact on the regeneration of this story. Thanks, hon, I appreciate all your input over the years!

Tai Vicari said...

What does Julian have? I hope its not contagious. Can't wait for next week.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks for coming by Tai :-)