10 November 2012

The Big Thing Blog Hop

I've been tagged in The Next Big Thing Blog Hop, thanks to fellow author and friend, Amber Lea Easton. So here are the rules of the Hop:-
1 - Give credit to the one who tagged you -in FB-
2 - Answer the following eight questions about your latest work in progress.
3 - Tag five other authors and let them know you've tagged them.


What is the title of your book?
The working title of my latest wip (My NaNo project) is Consuela's Story.  It is the sequel to my current Christmas Regency novel, Vidal's Honor, available at Astraea Press, Barnes & Noble and Amazon

Where did the idea come from for your book?
Because it is the sequal to my current book, Vidal's Honor, the basis of the characters was already there.  It begins in Spain, as did Vidal's Honor, then returns to England where the hero is faced with a sibling vendetta.

What genre does your book fall under?
Regency Romance with suspense in this wip, and contemporary romance with a touch of suspense..

What characters would you choose to play the characters in a movie?
Sorry, I don't watch enough movies to answer this one.
 
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your novel?
As this is a work in porgress and I have made it my NaNo project I've been working on it for ten days so far.

What other books would you compare it to within your genre?
Because Consuela's Story also touches on the 1812/3 Peninsula War I would compare it with Bernard Corwall's Sharpe's Rifles, and Georgette Heyer's An Infamous Army and The Spanish Bride, with a tiny-weeny touch of Louise Allen's The Earl's Intended Wife, to name but a few wonderful books that over the years have left an impression with me.
 
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I'd have to say the characters themselves.  I have loved Georgette Heyer books for as long as I can remember and read many other Regency books by a myriad of wonderful authors and yearned to 'have a go' at the Regency genre. Vidal's honor is my 2nd Regency, and Consuela's Story is the third and I'm having a great time writing in this genre.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest? How about a teaser?

 
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Let me see.  As this WIP is only ten days old I haven't worked on a blurb yet, so I'll try to give you a bit of an idea...

After guiding the widow of a former English agent safely out of Spain with the help of Charles, lord Vidal, and compatriot Consuela, (Vidal's Honor) Juan has returned to Spain to hunt down and kill his brother for murdering his wife and daughter.
When he arrives it is to discover his brother is already on his way to England and has Consuela in his sights.
The snippet below is the first meeting between Diago, Juan's brother, and Consuela.

Excerpt:
“Good evening Mr. Jameson.”  Consuela allowed him to draw her hand to his lip and brush a kiss across her knuckles.

“A pleasure as always, ma’am.  May I introduce you Senor Ferdinand?”

“Ma’am.”

The foreigner bowed low over her hand but did not emulate his friend and lift it to his lips. The man taller than Mr. Jameson’s six feet. And if Jameson called himself a bean0pole, what did it make this man who was several inches taller still?  His dark hair shone beneath the ballroom chandeliers, dark, like a moonlight night, like Juan’s.  Her heart contracted. She missed him and looking into the stranger’s eyes she could almost image Juan looking at her. His smile was less calculating than this man’s, Consuela decided.

They were of similar build, wide shoulders slim hips, even beneath his purple frocked jacket she could tell he had slim hips.  And the soft cloth pantaloons, as white as the Pyrenean snow displayed well in contrast to the highly coloured garb of some of the fops parading around the ball room.

“Sir.” With studied care she withdrew her hand from between his fingers and laid it over her other in her lap, and fought to maintain an outwardly calm appearance.

All day she’d been plagued with a sense of unease, and could only imagine it had something to do with Juan.  How angry she’d been with him when he’d informed her of his arrangements to return to Spain. She’d flown at him, screaming and crying, and raining blows on his chest with her fists.  She’d told him she wouldn’t wait for him, and now —

“I would ask you to dance, but see you are perhaps not willing to.” The movement of one finger towards her dress indicated this stranger recognised her state of mourning.  “May I be permitted to sit with you?”
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Here are the authors I'm tagging--give them a day to catch up because they're just getting tagged now:
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Paula Martin said...

Your new book sounds great, Sherry, and thanks for tagging me! I did my 'Next Big Thing' last month for my latest release, but when (IF!) my new submission is successful, I'll use that as my next big thing. Don't want to tempt fate by doing this too soon though!

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Paula, thanks for coming by and leaving a comment. Best wishes with your new book, it's on my wish list.