4 February 2014

Tuesday's Tales ~ Field



Welcome to Tuesday's Tales  
This week I am in a different story which revolves around secrets and their consequences. In this scene Roderick discovers that his wife has known about his deepest secret for many years and never told him. Here he is asking her why she did what she did and what happened when she found out.
 
“Why didn’t you carry out your threat and call the police?” Roderick caught hold of her finger that threatened to drill a hole in his chest.
“I did, but when the fools recognised him they backed off, so in order to mollify the neighbours I let him in.”

“That sounds like Ivor,” Laura sighed, bent down and pulled out a silver cigarette case. “Do you mind?” she asked the room in general and acknowledged her thanks when he handed her an ashtray. “I’m sorry, go on.”
“So you let him in, what did he want?” Feigning the need to refill his glass, Roderick crossed the room, stood by the window and watched the two women while stealthily opening the latch. He hated the smell of cigarettes.
“To see your birth certificate.”
“My birth certificate?” her answer came out of left field as far as Roderick was concerned. Why would his birth certificate matter to Ivor Hazlewood? Unless the man was afraid his mistress had named him as Roderick’s father.  “What did you do?”
He noted her recognition of his choice of words. He knew his Celia and assumed his red-headed spitfire probably tried to run the idiot out of her flat.
“I tripped,” she paused, sent an innocence look in Laura's direction, saw the understanding and continued. “My coffee… I couldn’t keep hold of it, and it spilled all over him.”
“Oh my.” Laura’s awed voiced dropped into the gleeful silence. “I’ve wondered for years what happened that night. The kids ran for the hills and didn’t visit again for over a week.” Her hand came up to cover her mouth in an automatic gesture, but her eyes sparkled with amusement.
 
 
Thank you for reading this week's offering, 
there are lots more amazing reads at  
 
 

16 comments:

Sarah Cass said...

LOL. I'm with Laura on this one..."Oh my." Heehee...smart tactic.

Lindsay said...

Love it. What a way to get rid of him

V.L. Locey said...

Tee-hee. How clever!

Jillian said...

*smiles* I love it

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Sarah, glad you enjoyed it.

SherryGLoag said...

Yeah, Lindsay, I was laughing when this scene unravelled.

SherryGLoag said...

Vicki, why is it my characters can be so clever and *I* would never have thought of it? Sigh :-)

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Jillian, thanks.

S.E said...

What a delightful scene.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks S.E. I appreciate your company.

Anonymous said...

Here's another one where I wanted to keep reading, I was disappointed the snippet had ended.
Love her imaginative ploy. I never would have thought of it.

Tricia said...

I love her inventive way of getting rid of him - great job!!

morgan said...

Celia is a quick thinker. It helps that men like Ivor assume women don't think too much. :)

SherryGLoag said...


writerszenblog :-) So glad you enjoyed it. She surprised me too, when she told us what happened that night!

SherryGLoag said...

LOL, Thanks Tricia :-)

SherryGLoag said...

So right, Morgan, thanks for coming by.