10 March 2014

Tuesdays Tales 11-03-14 ~ End




Welcome to Tuesday's Tales  
I'm sorry but this is another isolated snippet this week, taken from my Regency wip started back in 2012.
 
It is 1812 and Consuela remained in London when her affianced, Juan, has returned to the war in Spain. She may not be sure of the stranger who is flirting with her but admits to herself she is charmed by him.

How could someone she didn’t know fascinate and repel at the same time? She turned away to watch their graces dancing together, and hid a smile behind her hand at the outraged whispers around her.  Jealous old tabbies, she thought. Just because they were trapped in uncongenial, she liked the new word her grace taught her that morning, uncongenial marriages, they didn’t like to see the Duke dancing with his Duchess not caring who saw how much in love they were still, after nearly three decades.

“Unusual.” The sound of the deep voice penetrated her musings and reluctantly she refocused her attention.

Yes beneath the veneer something dark lurked in the man’s eyes. A tremor of foreboding skittered up her spine. “It is a pity we cannot dance together.  Do you like to dance?”

“I’m not a good dancer.”  Consuela admitted through clenched teeth and wished for the music to end and their grace to join her once more.

“I find that hard to believe.  A beautiful woman like you, I thought all the ladies learned to dance.”  He swept an arc in the direction of the floor, crammed with couples.”No?”

“I believe the English teach their daughters the dance at an early age, but I, as I am sure you have realised, am not English.”

While the man inclined his head, Consuela noted his smile failed to reach his eyes.
 
 
Thank you for reading this week's offering, 
there are lots more amazing reads at  
 
 

15 comments:

Iris B said...

I like the first paragraph to set the scene ... enjoyed today's post.

V.L. Locey said...

Quite an enjoyable excerpt!

Sarah Cass said...

I love her new word as well. :D Nice interaction...I wonder what the stranger is up to as well.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Iris.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Vicki

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Sarah.

Jillian said...

the first sentence is very compelling. I'm hooked and very interested to find out who this man is!

Lindsay said...

Great scene and as with the others the first sentence is wonderful and intriguing

morgan said...

Makes me wonder what is going to happen next. :)

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Jillian

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Lindsay

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Morgan :-)

Unknown said...

I'll dance with him-

Anonymous said...

Very nice scene. Great job setting the scene for us.
My favorite parts: 'jealous old tabbies' and the smile not reaching his eyes.

S.E said...

I wonder what that fake smile s about?