30 September 2014

Tuesday's Tales - Pretty




Welcome to Tuesday's Tales  

This week our prompt word is PRETTY and my snippet continues from last week. Having escaped their pursuers, Kate's now wondering how stupid she's been to help a stranger evade his attackers, and what possible retribution will fall on her head for her well-meaning but possible stupid actions. 


His deep voice resonated deep within her. Geeze how could she notice something like that in such a situation? Gathering her scattered wits Kate leaned in and helped the man to a kneeling position.

“No, it wasn’t me, and no, I don’t know who attacked you and bundled you into my car,” she said at the same time wondering how her voice came out so steadily when her insides were melting. “Who are you and why were you trussed up like a chicken and bundled into my car?”

Under the circumstances she shouldn’t notice his powerful build. Her hands should itch to release his bonds so they could skim over his torso, and further, not want to stroke all over that glistening skin.

Before he could respond she held up the scissors. “I’m sorry I only have these. I never thought to buy a knife to cut the cords.” She smacked her hand to her forehead and rushed to get a bottle of water out of the shopping bag on the back seat.

“Here, drink this.” She uncapped the bottle, held it to his lips and gradually tipped it up until he drained the contents dry. He held his hands out and watched her attempt to cut, and then saw through the nylon. The moment his hands were free the man tried to climb out of his prison.

“Wait.” Holding her hand up like a traffic cop Kate went back for the jersey she’d bought. “I had to guess your size,” she explained, “but put this on before you do anything else.” Not sure whether relief or disappointment roared through her system when the sweater fell below his hips, Kate moved closer to allow him to use her shoulder as a prop while he struggled to manoeuvre into a position to swing his legs over the sill of the car to allow her to release those bonds too.

“Who are you,” she asked again. “And why…”

“I don’t know why for sure, and although I have an idea of who, I’m not certain enough to name names.”

Dropping to her knees, Kate began cutting through the nylon cord. And wondered whether she was out of her mind to release a stranger who refused share his name or explain who had dumped him in her car and why. Anger nudged her concern to one side. Had she been mad to drive away knowing he was in her boot? And to do so knowing a bunch of strangers were now after her as well as the man waiting for her to free his legs? Upon reflection it seemed pretty stupid.

“I won’t hurt you.”

His voice snapped her out of her contemplation and she realised she’d sat back on her heals, her hands, still holding the scissors, resting in her lap.
 
Thank you for reading this week's offering,
there are lots more amazing reads at
Tuesday's Tales 

14 comments:

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

The action is progressing so well! Good job with getting him cut loose and covered. Now she's on the run too, along with him. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Flossie :-)

Sarah Cass said...

Oh wow, I can feel her chaotic emotions myself. Well done.

V.L. Locey said...

Great job! I can almost taste her emotions.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Sarah

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Vicki :-)

Jillian said...

You're pulling me in more and more on this story. Well done!

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Jillian

Jean Joachim Books said...

Ooohhh. I love this! What a great way to meet! Very original. And she's attracted to him, too. Yes. I'm looking forward to more of this story. Gotta find out what's going on.

Anonymous said...

You write the action in this story as well as the romance. Great job!
Trisha Faye

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Jean, I always appreciate your opinion. :-)

SherryGLoag said...

Awe, Trisha, what a nice thing to say, thank you.

morgan said...

The mystery deepens. Now, I'm going to have to bite my nails for both of them.Yes, I know they're fictional, but you make the menace real and close.

SherryGLoag said...

Oh my, thank you. You've made my day :-)